Postcard Measures: Approx. 11in x 4.5in
Back of Postcard:
Old Main, called "Main Building", is The Pennsylvania State University's first building of major significance. It was completed in 1863 after a 6 year period of construction. Hugh McAllister designed the structure to contain classrooms, laboratories, offices, a chapel, and residential space for 400 students. The limestone used to build the structure was quarried from the land directly in front of it, and was carried in part by a mule named Old Coaly. Today, Old Main serves as the administrative center of Penn State, housing the offices of the president and other officials.